It’s so easy to get caught up in all the worry and anxiety these days. I know I struggle with overwhelm and moments of panic almost daily. But there is also so very much to be grateful for right now. And for my own mental health I thought I’d take a minute to record 5 things that made me smile this week.
- Kelly’s Wednesday baking ritual. Beginning even before the quarantine Kelly decided that she would bake a delicious treat for us each Wednesday. This week we got to enjoy a fabulous cookie cake decorated with the words: I H8 Corona.
- Playing basketball with my sons. It’s been a long time since I shot hoops, and to anyone who happens to drive by when I’m out there playing that’s readily apparent. But I can honestly say that except for this quarantine I’d probably never have been in the driveway playing HORSE, PIG and Knock-Out with my sons.
- Hunt A Killer. Several months ago I subscribed to Hunt a Killer, a murder mystery in a box. Of course, given the craziness of general life we never opened even the first box. But recently the kids and I dove into our first case. We have two more boxes to go to solve the crime, but it’s a fun, interactive and, dare I say, educational way to pass the time. Once we stopped overthinking the evidence we got really good at eliminating suspects.
- Mid-afternoon coffee breaks. I won’t lie, I miss my Soy Misto from Starbucks. But, we’ve started a new afternoon iced-coffee tradition, and I love how this simple drink feels like an indulgence and helps delineate the afternoons.
- Videos like this one from Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and this one from Busch Gardens in Tampa showing the animals, in this case penguins and baby cheetahs, out and about exploring while their facilities are closed to the public.
I hope you too are finding moments of joy during this difficult time.